Saturday, May 27, 2023

Sewing Essentials Part 2

This is the second part in the series Sewing Essentials. In part one, I talked about my iron by Oliso. Today I want to share with you the other irons and ironing essentials I use in my sewing almost every day. You might ask, "Why do I use more than one  type iron?". Different irons are for different projects and I will explain how and why I use them.



First, is my Mini Cricut Press. Yes, it isn't just for ironing on vinyl! 

It is great for ironing open seams. It is 110V. Power: 150W. Heating plate size: 1.9"x3.3". Auto power-off after 15 minutes no use. I love the auto power-off feature and the pretty raspberry color. Mine is blue!

Cricut Mini Heat Press




My June Tailor Cushioned Mat make a great small ironing surfacesurface beside my sewing machine. I can quickly press open a seam or block my smocking pleats. The one I use has a smocking block guide on one side and a diamond and scallops shape guide on the other side. It is no longer available but this one Amazon will also work. 

An image of the June Tailor Quilter's Cushion Block Mat

It took me thirty years of sewing before I discovered the Clapper notion. Jeanna Hannah from Blue Ribbon Heirloom Designs used her Clapper in a video and I knew I had to order one from her website.
I will link the Clapper in the picture and then underneath I will type the link to her video. In her video she demonstrates how to use the Clapper.

An image of the Tailor's Clapper by Jeanna Hannah
https://blue-ribbon-heirloom-designs.thinkific.com/courses/tailors-clapper-instructional-video

It is a challenge to short puffed sleeves beautifully ironed. There are several methods I have sed in the past but I achieve the best resulted with my Vin Max Puff Iron. It is no longer available but I found one on Ebay and will link it below for you.

Image of a Vin Max Puff Iron

Be very careful when using this iron. Always keep your fabric moving or it will scorch your fabric!

Occasionally I use this tiny iron when sewing. It is the Clover Mini Iron.
An image of the Clover Mini Iron

The iron I use in my camper is a mini steam iron and it is great. There was a recall on some of the older models but mine was not listed in the recall. I purchased it off Amazon.

Mini Travel Iron

It doesn't take up much space and I also purchased a handy travel case for it.


How did I sew for so many years and not know I needed a sleeve pressing board? I use this all the time when sewing during camping trips. It is lightweight, folds flat, and is easy to store. I first saw a demonstration using this board on a Facebook video by Jeanna Hannah of Blue Ribbon Heirloom Designs. A link to this video is posted below the image.

Sleeve Ironing Board





Click this link to my Instagram reel demonstrating my use of the board and iron.


There are many more notions I use while sewing. I'll talk about pressing cloths in another post. All images have a link where you can purchase the item shown in the image. Have a great weekend! 

Note: As an Amazon affiliate, I make a small commission of anything you purchase from an Amazon link.


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!